Why Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
Ranked as the best school for public health in the world, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPH) is listed as the first independent, degree awarding institution for training and research in public health in the United States. Uniquely Located in Baltimore, Maryland, in the United States the school has the following departments.
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Departments
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Environmental Health and Engineering
- Health, Behavior and Society
- Health Policy and Management
- International Health
- Mental Health
- Harry Feinstone Dept of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
- Population, Family and Reproductive Health
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Courses
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offers Bachelors, Masters and Doctorate degree programs:
- Master of Public Health
- Master of Science in Public Health
- Master of Health Science
- Master of Health Administration
- Master of Bioethics
- Master of Arts
- Master of Applied Science
- Master of Public Policy
- Master of Science
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Online MPH Degree Program
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offers online Master of Public Health degree programs for emerging sectors in public health with pressing need for highly skilled professionals. The program is designed for working professionals, and differs distinctly from other programs offered online by Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in partnership with organizations like cousera. Courses offered under the JHSPH online MPH programs are;
- Master of Applied Science in Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality
- Master of Applied Science in Population Health Management
- Master of Applied Science in Spatial Analysis for Public Health
- Certificates in Population Health Management
Combined programs at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPH)
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPH) offers additional degree programs for individuals who are interested in combining various fields and disciplines. The combination ranges from medicine and public health to international relations and public health. Courses offered under this arrangement include:
- Bachelor of Arts and Master of Health Science or Bachelor of Arts and Master of Science in Public Health (BA/MHS)
- Master of Public Health and Master of Business Administration (MPH/MBA)
- Master of Public Health and Master of Social Work (MPH/MSW)
- Master of Public Health and Master of Science in Nursing (MPH/MSN)
- Master of Public Health and Juris Doctor (MPH/JD)
- Master of Arts and Master of Science in Public Health (MA/MSPH)
- Master of Science in Public Health and Registered Dietitian (MSPH/RD)
- Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Philosophy (MD/PhD)
- Concurrent Master’s Programs for Doctoral Students
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Doctoral Programs
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offers the following doctoral programs
- Doctor of Public Health (DPH)
- Doctor of Science (ScD) Public Health
- Postdoctoral training in Public health
Residency Programs at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
The school of public health at Johns Hopkins University also offers residency training programs in
- Occupational medicine
- General preventative medicine
Admission Requirements for Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health MPH
A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in a health related discipline (e.g., Microbiology, Nutrition, Anatomy and Physiology etc) Applicants are required to possess a minimum of two years full time work experience post Bachelor’s degree OR a doctorate degree in a field that is related to public health or health. Applicants are also required show evidence of completion of at least one math course (e.g., Calculus, Algebra or Statistics)
Test Scores: The following test scores are accepted by the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
- GRE, MCAT, GMAT or LSAT Scores
- Median Scores GPA : 3.5/4.0
- Verbal Reasoning (GRE) :79
- Quantitative Reasoning (GRE) :67
Notwithstanding these requirements, applicants with higher degrees such as BDS, MBBS, MS, MA, MD, DDS, and PhD can apply for admission into the program without a standardized test score. Best Online MPH No GRE Test Required
Applicants are also required to submit a personal statement, which details their professional ambitions, past academic and work experience and how a master of public health degree from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health fits in with his / her overall career goals.
Each applicants is required to submit three letters of recommendation one each from an academic and a professional. Application for admission will not be processed without these documents and applicants are encouraged to always use a check list to ensure that all mandatory requirements are included or attached to the application before submission.
Despite being ranked as the best school for public health globally, the acceptance rate at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health appears higher and more favorable to applicants in comparison to many other schools and programs in the United States. Although the number of applicants and number of available slots for programs varies from year to year and the test structures and evaluation procedures are also changed periodically to suit current realities, the acceptance rate at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health is currently 50%.
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health International Health Department
Department of International Health at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health is one of the ten departments in the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. What sets this department apart is the uniqueness of its curriculum. The Department seeks to understand health problems and moves in a direction to develop means of disease reduction, health protection and promotion in underserved populations around the world.
The Department is structured into four core program areas namely:
- Global Disease Epidemiology and Control
- Health Systems
- Human Nutrition
- Social and Behavioral Interventions.
Programs Offered by the Department of International Health Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- Master of Science in Public Health (MSPH)
- Master of Health Science in Health Economics (MHS)
- Doctoral-level training for research (PhD) in the four core program areas as well many other continuing education programs online and on campus.
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Mental Health Department
As the sole department dedicated to mental health at the Johns Hopkins School of public, this department is focused on research to advance the understanding of mental and behavioral disorders. Joined by researches from multiple disciplines with passion for understanding, treating and preventing mental health and substance use disorders, the department is dedicated to equipping and educating the next generation of public health workers and scientists with specific skills and expertise needed to address the world’s most pressing mental health issues.
Programs Offered by the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health Mental Health Department
1. MHS in Mental Health
2. BA/MHS in Mental Health
3. PhD in Mental Health
Student Life at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPH)
With over two thousand students from eighty one countries, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (JHSPH) is the most diverse school of public health in the world. As at 2017 the school had over twenty thousand Alumni.
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.