A Master of Public Health (MPH) degree is a graduate-level program that provides students with the skills and knowledge needed to understand and address public health issues. Canada is home to several world-class MPH programs that offer many benefits to students, including:
- Diverse Curriculum: Canadian MPH programs cover a wide range of public health topics, including epidemiology, health promotion, health policy, global health, and biostatistics. This diverse curriculum allows students to develop a broad understanding of public health issues and develop expertise in their areas of interest.
- Hands-on Experience: Many Canadian MPH programs offer practical learning opportunities, such as internships, practicums, and research projects. These experiences provide students with the opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills they have learned in the classroom to real-world public health challenges.
- Professional Development: MPH programs in Canada often offer a variety of professional development opportunities, such as networking events, career fairs, and guest lectures from public health professionals. These events can help students develop their professional skills, make valuable connections, and explore career opportunities.
- Research Opportunities: Canadian MPH programs offer numerous opportunities for students to engage in research. Students can work on research projects with faculty members, participate in research seminars, and contribute to ongoing public health research.
- Global Perspective: MPH programs in Canada provide students with a global perspective on public health. Many programs offer international field placements, study abroad programs, and courses that focus on global health issues. These experiences can broaden students’ perspectives on public health and help them understand the challenges faced by different communities around the world.
Several leading Schools of Public Health in Canada offer a master’s program in public health. Generally, admission slots for MPH in Canada are limited and competitive. The general requirements for admission into programs in Universities and public health schools in Canada are as follows:
- The completion of a 4-year degree program or a designation of equivalent status approved by the institution.
- An average of B+ in all third and fourth-year level undergraduate courses which must include mathematics or statistics (required in many schools but not mandatory).
- English proficiency is required if the academic credential of the applicant does not originate from Canada or the United States.
- A minimum score of 153 on the verbal component and 153 on the quantitative component of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) was taken within the last five years.
- A detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) or resume which highlights the applicant’s professional work experience and relevant skills.
- A well written and specific letter of intent or statement of purpose describes how the program fits the applicant’s overall personal and professional goals.
- All applicants regardless of school are required to provide three reference letters as part of their application one of which must be from academic.
- Applicants with prior public health experience are at an advantage.
See The Many Opportunities in Health Science Career
Top universities and public health schools in Canada offering Master in public health
The list of the best universities offering MPH programs in Canada are:
- University of Toronto
Established in 1827, the University of Toronto is one of the top public health schools offering an MPH program in Canada. Famous for its research and the discoveries of insulin and stem cells, The Dalla Lana School of Public Health of the university offers the Master in Public Health degree in the following disciplines: Family & Community Medicine, Nutrition & Dietetics, Occupation & Environmental Health, Social & Behavioral Health Sciences and Epidemiology.
- McGill University
Ranked 32nd in the world and 2nd in Canada, the Faculty of Medicine – Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health of McGill University is the department saddled with the responsibility of training students in public health. It offers the MPH program as well as the Master of Science (MSc) degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Occupational Health. CLICK You Can Also Enroll For This World Class Online MPH program
- University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia is located in Vancouver and Kelowna in British Columbia. The Faculty of Medicine – School of Population & Public Health offers the Master of Public Health degree as well as other programs such as the Master of Health Administration(MHA), Master of Science (MSc) in Occupational & Environmental Hygiene and the Master of Science (MSc) degree in Population & Public Health.
- University of Alberta
University of Alberta School of Public Health is one of the few universities in Canada offering a Professional certificate course in public health. The institution also offers the Master of Public Health degree in Applied Biostatistics, Environmental Occupational Health, Epidemiology, Global Health, Health Policy Management, Health Promotion, and Food Safety.
For Masters in public health in Canada with scholarship visit: MSc and MPH Public Health Scholarships
- Université de Montréal
The Université de Montréal École de santé publique or School of public health is domiciled in the faculty of medicine of the institution. Rated as one of the best public health schools in Europe, it offers the standard MPH and MSc programs in public health. The university is the highest-ranked Francophone university in Canada.
- McMaster University
McMaster University is home to 70 research centers and institutes. The Faculty of Health Sciences of the institution offers the Master of Public Health degree as well as other MSc programs in Health Research Methodology, Health Science Education, Global Health, and the Master of Health Management program.
- University of Waterloo
The University of Waterloo is one of the favorite universities for MPH in Canada for international students. Established in 1957, the institution’s School of Public Health and Health Systems, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences offers three distinct MPH programs in Social and Behavioral Sciences, Environmental Health, and a General MPH program. The school also offers a Master of Science degree (MSc) in Public Health and Health Systems. For Masters in public health Canada salary Visit: What is the Salary Outlook with MPH Degree
Western University (University of Western Ontario)
Founded in 1878, Western University was previously known as the University of Western Ontario. The Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry offers the standard MPH program in Canada as well as the MSc degree in Epidemiology & Biostatistics.
- University of Calgary
The University of Calgary was founded in 1966 and has five campuses, including one in the Middle East (Qatar). The university was made famous by the innovations of its researchers including the invention of the neurochip. The University of Calgary Faculty of Community Health Sciences does not offer the MPH program but instead offers a similar program known as the Master of Disability & Community Studies (MDCS) and the Master of Community Medicine (MCM) programs.
- Queen’s University
With a student population of around 23,000, 10% of whom are international, Queen’s University is ranked 10th in our list of top universities for MPH in Canada. The institution’s Faculty of Health Sciences – Department of Public Health Sciences located in Kingston, offers the MPH program as well as the Master of Science (MSc) degree in Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
Masters In Public Health (MPH) in Canada Without GRE
The following Universities require No GRE for application into graduate programs in public health They include:
- University of Victoria
- University of Alberta
- McGill University (The GRE is required only from health professional graduates from Universities outside Canada or the United States of America).
Universities Offering Online MPH in Canada
- McGill University
McGill University offers the opportunity to earn a Master’s Degree (MSc-Applied) in Occupational Health Sciences in a distance educational format, to occupational health physicians, occupational health nurses, and industrial hygienists.
2. University of Alberta
The University of Alberta is another university that offers online mph in Canada. The online mph program of the University of Alberta was launched in response to the demand from the health sector for professionals who possess new knowledge.
Also Read: Best Biostatistics Graduate Programs
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.