Epidemiologist Salary Around The World
Epidemiologists are specialists who study how diseases spread, and their expertise is very crucial in disease detection, understanding disease patterns, and planning for significant outbreaks or epidemics.
This unique core competence in public health requires at least a master’s degree in epidemiology or a related field. According to the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH), over 500,000 more public health workers including epidemiologists will be needed globally by the year 2020.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 24 percent increase in the demand for epidemiologists between 2010 and 2020, faster than the average for other occupations. Public health workers in most countries are currently stretched with less personnel and fewer resources.
Epidemiologist Job Description
Epidemiologists are responsible for investigating, identifying, and describing the determinants and distribution of disease and illness in a population. They also play a crucial role in disease prevention and control.
Epidemiologist Job Duties
1. Epidemiologist oversees health care programs and projects including statistical analysis, health care planning, public health improvement, and monitoring systems.
2. Epidemiologist is involved in the identification of the causes and risk factors of diseases and parasites.
3. Epidemiologist analyzes the modes of transmission, progress, and life cycles of diseases and parasites.
4. They plan and conduct studies to investigate human or animal disease, as well as preventative methods and treatments.
5. They confer with physicians, health care policy analysts, and other professionals on issues relating to diseases and public health.
6. They assist in the design and development of study protocols and health status questionnaires, sample selection, and analysis.
An epidemiologist is among the highest paid in public health and there is currently a global shortage of epidemiologists. The salary outcome for epidemiologists around the globe is as follows.
In the United States, the highest-paid epidemiologist according to USA news work in the metropolitan areas of:
Raleigh, North Carolina: 108,700 USD
Silver Spring, Maryland: 106, 390 USD
Durham, North Carolina: 98, 550 USD
District of Columbia: 94,950 USD
Oakland, California: 94,380 USD
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.