Fura da nono is a popular African cold gruel produced and consumed mostly in northern part of Nigeria. The meaning of Fura de nunu in English is simply milk and millet gruel. Fura da Nono as the Hausas call it or Fura de nunu as the majority of Nigerians choose to refer to it, is a very healthy and satisfying food. Nono or Nunu is a local yogurt with thick lumps produced from the fermentation of cow milk. Nono is obtained from the fermented milk after the separation of the milk from its lipid component known as Man shanu (Cow oil). The art of nono production is one of the many unique traditions the Fulani’s have preserved for centuries, the history of fura de nunu will be incomplete without them. Selling Nono, sometimes with Fura balls is a common trade of most young Fulani ladies who hawk this special drink from place to place in calabashes often during the heat of the day.
Nutritional value of Fura de nunu
Fura is made from millet a gluten free grain with lots of minerals and vitamins. Millet is also part of our body’s ecological foods as it acts as a probiotic to feed important micro flora in our inner ecosystem. In addition, Millet floor from which Fura is made, contains vital nutrients such as Magnesium, Calcium, Manganese, Tryptophan, Phosphorus, Fiber, B vitamins, Antioxidants. The nono yogurt component of Fura is loaded with vitamins and minerals that supports vital physiological process in the body these include Vitamin B 5, Vitamin B 12, potassium, phosphorous, riboflavin, iodine, and zinc.
Health Benefits of Fura De Nunu (ampanin Shan Fura da nono)
- Millet can help reduce the effects of migraines and heart attacks due to the presence of magnesium.
- Millet helps in fat metabolism, repair of body tissue and creating energy in the body due to the presence of phosphorus in the crop.
- Millet helps in the lowering of cholesterol in the body (Vitamin B3).
- Millet helps reduce the risk of having type 2 diabetes.
- Millets helps to protect against breast cancer and also protect against childhood asthma.
- Nunu Yogurt’s got power-boosting protein and bone-building calcium.
- Yogurt such as nono can give you flat abs. according to research conducted by the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
- The Alkaline nature of Fura de nunu helps to promote digestion and prevents constipation.
- Nono Yogurt is an excellent probiotic which help crowd out harmful microorganisms that can cause intestinal infections
- It provides serotonin to calm and soothe our moods, it also hydrate our colon (intestine) to keep our bodies in top shape.
Hygiene and Fura: Side effects of Fura de Nunu
Fura has no known side effect. However hygiene is a serious issue when it comes to fura and it is very common to come down with typhoid fever after consuming an un-hygienically prepared fura de nono contaminated by Salmonella. Other microorganisms such as Escherichia coli and Campylobacter can also contaminate nono during the milking process. The most common source of contamination comes from faeces and other intestinal content.
Is Habib Yoghurt Fattening?
This is one of the questions that inspired this article. Most Yoghurt Habib inclusive can make you add weight if you make these two mistakes.
- Adding too many extras such as sugars when blending with fura
- Consuming multiple cups per week
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.