The responsibility for managing health issues including health promotion in Nigeria is domiciled with the Federal Ministry of Health which discharges this mandate through several departments and agencies saddled with specific duties and responsibilities.
This list includes all agencies directly under the supervision of the ministry and others outside its purview that carries out duties related to health management, promotion, protection and research.
List of Health Agencies in Nigeria and their Functions, Addresses, and Contact Information
- Federal Ministry of Health
Office Address: Ahamadu Bello Way, Phase Three, New Federal Secretariat Complex, Central Business District Abuja Nigeria.
- National Primary Health Care Development Agency – NPHCDA
Office Address: Number 681/682, Port Harcourt Crescent, Area 11, Garki, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory.
Responsibility: Primary Health Care Management
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS – NACA
Office Address: Number 823 Ralph Shodeinde Street, Central Business District, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory.
Telephone lines: 09 461-3724, 09-461 3703-9, 09 461-3700.
Responsibility: Coordinates the fight against the spread of HIV/AIDS in Nigeria.
- National Agency for Food Drug Administration and Control – NAFDAC
Address: No: 2032 Obasanjo Way, Wuse Zone, 7, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory.
Lagos office: 3/5 Oshodi Expressway, Lagos Nigeria.
Telephone lines: 01-4731018, 01-4524259, 01-4524270,
Responsibility: Drug and food registration and regulation
- National Health Insurance Scheme – NHIS
Office Address: Plot 297, Shehu Yar’adua Way, Utako District, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory.
Email address for issues related enrolment: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone lines: 0805-928-2008, 0806-574-4100, 0808-328-0131, 0803-979-6126, 0805-901-5854
Responsibility: Clearing house for all health insurance related issues in Nigeria including licensing and regulation.
- National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development – NIPRD
Office Address: Idu Industrial Layout area P.M.B 21, Garki Post Office Abuja, Federal Capital Territory.
Telephone lines + 234 (9)7803329
Responsibility: Pharmaceutical research and development of new pharmaceutical molecules.
- Nigerian Institute of Medical Research – NIMR
Office Address: Number 6, Edmund crescent off Murtala Mohammed wayP.M.B. 2013 Yaba
Lagos, South West, Nigeria
Telephone line: 0909 213 3886
NIMR Human Virology Laboratory
For Inquiries Call: 0803 300 7252 or
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
NIMR Clinical Diagnostic Laboratory
For Inquiries call: 0803 381 0466
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
NIMR Institutional Review Board
Office Address: Room 207, Second Floor, Research Block
Telephone lines: 0909 016 6992, 08023513399
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsibility: Medical research
- National Biotechnology Development Agency – NABDA
Office Address: Umar Musa Yar’Adua Way, Airport Road, Lugbe, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria
Telephone Lines: 0803 404 9111,
0803 314 2898, 0708 102 2890
Responsibility: Promotes local competence in the development and application of biotechnology
- National Blood Transfusion Service -NBTS
Office Address: Number 39, Abidjan Street, Wuse Zone 3, Abuja Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria.
Telephone lines: 0803 589 6132, 09 524 1790, 09- 780 6418, 09 524 1790
Responsibility: National Blood Transfusion Service is the agency charged with the responsibility of promoting blood safety and voluntary non-remunerated blood donation in Nigeria.
- National Malaria Control Programme
Office Address: First Floor, Abia Plaza, Fist Avenue, Cadastral Zone A/0, Central Business District, Abuja, Federal Capital Territory Nigeria
Telephone Line: 09 671 2135
Responsibility: The National Malaria Control Programme is the agency saddled with the responsibility of controlling and eradicating malaria in Nigeria.
- Nigeria Field Epidemiology and Laboratory Training Program -FELTP
Office Address: Number 50, Haile Selassie road Asokoro, Abuja Federal Capital Territory.
Telephone Lines: 09 291 3685, 0807 860 2331, 0703 411 9819, 0803 655 1264
Responsibility: capacity building and training in applied epidemiology and public health
- Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria –IHVN
Responsibility: Human Virology Research
Nigeria Centre for Disease Control – NCDC
The Nigerian Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) was established in 2011 in response to the growing challenge of public health issues in Nigeria and to enhance the country’s preparedness and response to epidemics through detection, prevention and control of non-communicable and communicable diseases. Its core mandate is to prevent, detect, investigate and control diseases of public, national and international public health importance.
NCDC Technical Directorates.
- Public Health Laboratory Services
- Prevention and Programs Coordination
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Surveillance and Epidemiology
- Finance and Accounts
- Administration and Human Resources
The core functions of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control – NCDC
- Prevent, detect, and control diseases of public health importance.
- Support States responding to small or mini outbreaks, and lead the response to large disease outbreaks.
- Coordinate surveillance systems to collect, analyse and interpret data on diseases of public health importance.
- Develop and maintain a network of reference and specialized laboratories.
- Conduct, collate, synthesize and disseminate public health research to inform policy.
- Lead Nigeria’s engagement with the international community on diseases of public health relevance
Address: Plot 801, Ebitu Ukiwe Street, Jabi, Abuja, Nigeria.
National Reference Laboratory
Address: National Reference Laboratory, Gaduwa, Abuja, Nigeria.
Central Public Health Laboratory
Address: 67 Murtala Mohammed Way, Yaba, Lagos, Nigeria.
Telephone line: 0800-970000-10 (Toll-Free Call Centre)
Social Media Channels