To maintain a healthy pregnancy, approximately 300 extra calories are needed each day. Eating well is one of the best things you can do during pregnancy. Good nutrition helps you handle the extra demands on your body as your pregnancy progresses. The goal is to balance getting enough nutrients to support the growth of your fetus and maintaining a healthy weight.
Poor nutrition during pregnancy is a major public health problem in the in many countries. There is compelling evidence from epidemiologic studies that poor nutrition during pregnancy, in the form of insufficient intake, low protein, or deficiencies in micronutrients, is associated with poor developmental outcomes in children including lower cognitive functioning, deficits in attention, and disruptive behavior problems.
What is Golden Morn?
Golden Morn also known as CEREVITA is a nutritious, delicious and filling cereal made from locally sourced whole grains. Golden Morn contains over 50% of whole grains in each pack and is fortified with essential nutrients. It is an excellent food for complementary feeding. Golden morn is also high in fiber and naturally richer in vitamins and iron that are ideal for growth. It is made from maize corn in flour form which makes it easy to prepare. It is well processed and mixed with millet and soya that are ideal for both young and mature.
Is Golden Morn Good For Pregnant Women?
Golden Morn is a rich source of nutrients, and therefore, make for a healthy breakfast for pregnant women. Here are some advantages of eating cornflakes during pregnancy:
- The dietary fiber in Golden Morn helps reduce blood pressure and provide relief from constipation. One average bowl of Golden Morn contains about 25 grams of fiber, which can help you manage most constipation-related issues.
- Consuming one bowl of Golden Morn daily can help reduce the risks of preeclampsia that is triggered by high blood pressure. Preeclampsia can cause severe developmental issues in the foetus.
- A bowl of Golden Morn for breakfast can fill your stomach with the dietary fibre and satisfy your hunger as well.
- Consuming Golden Morn also helps maintain your pregnancy weight.
- The iron content in Golden Morn can help manage anaemia during pregnancy to a certain extent.
- Golden Morn are a good source of important vitamins which are highly essential for the mother-to-be and the developing foetus.
Side Effects of Eating Golden Morn When Pregnant
Eating Golden Morn in limited portions can be beneficial during pregnancy; however, excess consumption can cause some problems. Here are some adverse effects of eating Golden Morn in excessive quantities during pregnancy:
- Golden Morn contains 3.3g of fat, 290mg of sodium and a high sugar content . Its consumption in excess is unhealthy, especially during pregnancy.
- Golden Morn may result in health issues like flatulence, intestinal gas, abdominal pain and bloating. The capability of your body to absorb zinc, iron and minerals decreases when you eat Golden Morn in excess.
- Golden Morn with grains are usually acidic; hence they cause an acidic state in the tissues and blood.
- Compared to sprouts, fruits and vegetables, it is harder to eat grains in Golden Morn.
- Existing health conditions related to the digestive system may exacerbate further if you eat Golden Morn.
Now that you know the benefits and side effects of eating Golden Morn, you can manage the quantities and frequency of consuming it during pregnancy. But, you must follow some tips to make the most of this nutritious breakfast item.
Tips to Keep in Mind When Eating Golden Morn During Pregnancy
Follow these tips while eating Golden Morn during pregnancy;
- If you love to eat Golden Morn for breakfast, include them in your pregnancy diet too. Just make sure that you eat them in moderation.
- Avoid eating Golden Morn that contain artificial sweeteners or artificially flavoured corns.
- You can add natural sweeteners such as strawberries or honey, to enhance the taste of your meal.
- Feel free to consult a nutritionist before you make any changes to your diet plan. Also, discuss your food habits and cravings.
- Always add warm milk to the Golden Morn because dry Golden Morn might make you feel nauseated.
- Try to have Golden Morn only for breakfast and not during other meals.
Eating Golden Morn will do you no harm in pregnancy if you eat it in moderation. Golden Morn without any artificial ingredient can be healthy to consume during pregnancy. But, don’t forget to follow the tips if you are going to add them to your pregnancy diet. If you are still unsure about eating Golden Morn, we recommend you consult your nutritionist and include it in your pregnancy diet accordingly. ALSO READ: Is Golden Morn Good For Weight Loss?