What is Terramicina ?
Terramicina is a brand of Oxytetracycline, a broad-spectrum antibiotic that is active against a wide variety of bacteria. It exerts it antibiotic effect by interfering with the biological mechanism that facilitates the production of essential proteins responsible for growth, multiplication and increase in the number of bacteria. By this method terramicina prevents the further spread of infection in the body and the remaining bacteria are killed by the immune system or eventually die due to deprivation.
What is Terramicina Used For
Terramicina is used to treat :
- Chest infection such as psittacosis
- Sexually transmitted diseases such as chlamydia, gonorrhea or syphilis
- Genital infection such as urethritis
- Terramicina is also used to treat infections caused by Mycoplasmaorganisms such as pneumonia
- Eye infections such as trachoma and conjunctivitis can be treated with terramicina.
- Terramicina is used to treat acne caused by Propionibacterium acnes.
- Terramicina is also useful for the treatment of chronic bronchitis exacerbated by Haemophilus influenzae.
- Other rare infections caused by group of micro-organisms known as rickettsia can also be managed using terramicina.
Side Effects of Terramicina
Gastrointestinal Side Effects of Terramicina: Nausea, Anorexia (loss of appetite), vomiting, diarrhea, glossitis (swollen tongue), difficulty in swallowing
Skin side effects of Terramicina: Rashes with or without hives, uncommon scaly dermatitis (exfoliative)
Kidney side effects of Terramicina: Kidney toxicity with increased urea.
Immunoallergic side effects of Terramicina: Hypersensitivity reactions (urticaria, anaphylaxis, anaphylactoid purpura)
Neurological side effects of Terramicina: headache, impaired vision
Hematological side effects of Terramicina: Hemolytic anemia, neutropenia (decreased neutrophil leukocytes) and eosinophilia (increased eosinophil leukocytes) thrombocytopenia (decrease in platelets).
Terramicina is available in the following forms:
- Injectable Solution
- Ophthalmic Suspension
- Oral Capsule
- Oral Solution
- Oral Tablet
- Topical Ointment
Terramicina is taken as prescribed by your doctor based on the condition being treated, other medications you are taking, other medical conditions you have, and how you respond to terramicina. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.