Gari contains lots of nutrients that are useful and beneficial to our health. The nutrient found in garri is Sodium, magnesium, Potassium, and Dietary Fiber.
- After you have gotten your cassava tuber from the farm, peel off the skin, and in doing so try as much as possible not to peel too deep into it.
- The next step is to wash the peeled tubers. Try to wash with a lot of water to remove sand, because this is the only washing you are going to do.
- Cut the tubers into medium sizes. Smaller sizes increase the speed. Then you ground in a grounding machine.
- After the grinding, the cassava powder will still be watery and need to be packed in long bags and taken to be drilled to promote ultimate dryness in a jack for 2-3 days.
- When it’s dried, use a wide sieve to sieve off the fine cassava powder from other particles.
- The next step is to fry using a wide frying pan and fry the powder in reasonable portions until it becomes dry and brittle.
- Sun dry your garri in a clean environment to reduce the effect of bacteria that may lead to spoilage.
- The last and final step is to pack your garri in a dry and convenient place where you can take from when you want to eat.
Health Benefits and Side Effects of Garri on the body
“Carbs” are a hotly-debated topic, especially in the weight loss world, due in part to diets such as the Atkins, Dukan, South Beach, and Ketogenic Diet. The idea that “carbs are bad” has left many people confused about carbohydrates and their importance for our health, including maintaining a healthy weight. Some evidence suggests low-carb, high protein diets may lead to greater weight loss in the short term. However, very low carbohydrate, high protein diets may not be safe in the long term. There is limited evidence to suggest that garri is associated with increased body weight. Generally, carbohydrates are known to influence weight gain and cassava from which garri is produced is no different. A cup of garri contains about 360 calories, out of which 99% is carbohydrate. As such, consuming excess garri is detrimental to your weight loss goals. See Why Fatty Fish Oil is Very Important for Your Health
Garri contains Sodium, an extremely important electrolyte and an essential ion present in the extracellular fluid (ECF). One of the health benefits of sodium is the pivotal role it plays in enzyme operations and muscle contraction. It is very important for osmoregulation and fluid maintenance within the human body. Other health benefits include improved heart performance, the nervous system, and glucose absorption. Sodium is needed for blood regulation and its absence can cause serious impairment of bodily functions. It is a versatile element and occurs in more than eighty different forms. As an electrolyte, it regulates bodily fluids and transmits electrical impulses in the body.
One of the major health benefits of garri is linked to its dietary fiber content. Dietary fiber is mainly associated with the human digestive tract. However, its health benefits also include relief from high cholesterol, heart problems, diabetes, obesity, toxicity, hemorrhoids, and skin conditions. Fiber plays a very important role in digestion and helps prevent constipation, diarrhea, diverticulosis, and irritable bowel syndrome. It makes the food bulkier and further aids in glucose absorption so that sugar enters the blood cells at a slow and even pace, maintaining normal blood sugar levels. It also produces vital organic acids that help nurture the lining of the colon.
Potassium is a mineral that’s crucial for life. The Potassium content of garri is necessary for the heart, kidneys, and other organs to work normally. Most people who eat a healthy diet should get enough potassium naturally. Low potassium is associated with a risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, arthritis, cancer, digestive disorders, and infertility. For people with low potassium, doctors sometimes recommend improved diets — or potassium supplements — to prevent or treat some of these conditions.
Garri contains magnesium. One of the health benefits of magnesium includes the prevention of constipation, eclamptic seizures, and asthma. It keeps your nerves, muscles, and bones healthy. It also helps in protein synthesis and cellular metabolism. Magnesium is vital for sustaining a normal heartbeat and is used by doctors to treat irregularities in the heart rhythm. Other health benefits include its positive impact on reducing osteoporosis, and maintenance of sugar levels, as well as its favorable effects on diabetes, back pain, and various psychiatric disorders. Health Benefits and Side Effects of Aju Mbaise
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.