Peru Doctors Save Toddler Who Swallowed 8 Medical Needles

In northeastern Peru, a medical team successfully saved the life of a 2-year-old boy who had unwittingly swallowed eight injection needles while at play. The incident was a unique and challenging case for the doctors involved, and it highlights the need for vigilance in ensuring the safety of children in rural areas where unexpected hazards can arise.


Dr. Efrain Salazar, who played a pivotal role in the life-saving operation, expressed his surprise at the discovery of these foreign objects inside the young boy’s body. He mentioned, “It was once we were in the operating room and we opened up his abdomen that we found those metal pieces, (and realized) they were really needles.” The medical team’s swift response and expertise were crucial in addressing this unusual situation.


Local media reports shed light on the source of these needles, revealing that they were initially used for vaccinating farm animals in the vicinity where the boy’s mother was employed. The boy, whose identity remains undisclosed, resides in a rural agricultural area known as Taratopo, located approximately 622 kilometers (386 miles) away from the capital city of Lima. It is suspected that he may have accidentally ingested these needles while innocently playing in the vicinity of his mother’s workplace. The presence of sharp metal needles in a child’s body could have led to dire consequences if not addressed promptly and effectively.


Fortunately, thanks to the quick action and surgical expertise of the medical team, the boy’s life was not at risk following the surgery. This incident serves as a reminder of the importance of child safety, especially in regions where children may be exposed to unique risks associated with their surroundings. It is a testament to the skill and dedication of healthcare professionals who work diligently to safeguard the lives and well-being of children in communities, no matter how remote.

error: Protected Content!!