What is Klonopin (clonazepam)?
Klonopin pill is a round pill containing clonazepam, a prescription medication belonging to a group of drugs known as benzodiazepines. Klonopin pills exert their effect primarily by the modulation of function of the neurotransmitter gamma-Aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain, this in turn, leads to enhanced inhibition of neuronal firing slowing down brain activity and producing a calming effect. This medication acts as an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug with a 6 -12-hour duration of action. Klonopin comes in orange pills containing 0.5mg clonazepam, blue pills containing 1mg of clonazepam and white klonopin pills containing 2mg of clonazepam.
Medical Uses of Klonopin Pill
Klonopin is used to prevent and control certain types of seizure disorders such as epilepsy in adults and children. It is also used to treat anxiety and agoraphobia, a type of panic disorder in adults. Either alone or combination with other drugs, Klonopin is used to treat:
- Restless legs syndrome
- Rapid eye movement behavior disorder
- Acute and chronic akathisia induced by neuroleptics
- Acute psychosis-induced aggression.
- Parasomnia and other sleep disorders
Dosage of Klonopin Pill
Klonopin is a prescription medicine and should be taken exactly as prescribed by your physician. Take time to read and follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not use klonopin in larger or smaller amounts or for longer periods than recommended. Klonopin is a drug that can lead to dependency, never share this medicine with another person, especially someone with a history of drug addiction or drug abuse. Selling or giving away this medicine is also against the law.
Klonopin Side Effects
Common side effects of Klonopin include:
- Disorders of the digestive system with flatulence, constipation, bouts of pain and discomfort in the abdomen
- Walking or coordination problems
- Impaired coordination of movements
- Delay, or frequency of urination.
- Violation of sexual function, decreased libido
- Memory problems
Serious Side Effects of Klonopin
Klonopin can slow your thinking and motor skills, do not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other dangerous activities until you know the effect of klonopin on you and how your body responds to the medication.
It has been reported that klonopin may cause suicidal thoughts or actions in about 1 in 500 persons. It can sometimes also worsen depression and panic attacks. In addition, drinking alcohol while taking klonopin has been found to increase sleepy tendencies and or dizziness.
Klonopin Drug Interactions
Klonopin interacts with many medications, it is very important for you to inform your doctor about other medicines (prescription and nonprescription including vitamins, and nutritional supplements) you are taking and alert your doctor if you take any of the following:
- HIV protease inhibitors
- Sleeping pills and tranquilizers
It is also very important to inform your doctor if you:
- Have liver or kidney problems
- Have lung problems (respiratory disease)
- Have or have had depression, mood problems, or suicidal thoughts or behavior
- Have any other medical conditions
Klonopin in Pregnancy
Taking Klonopin in pregnancy may harm your unborn or developing baby. Using Klonopin during pregnancy puts your unborn child at risk for serious birth defects. These defects can happen as early as in the first month of pregnancy, even before you know you are pregnant. Some of the likely risks associated with the use of Klonopin pill in pregnancy include breathing problems, feeding problems, hypothermia, and withdrawal symptoms. In addition, Klonopin can pass into breast milk, it is strongly advised that you talk to your healthcare provider about the best way to feed your baby if you take Klonopin.
Can One Get high from taking Klonopin Pills?
The street value of Klonopin has been on the rise largely due to its addictive nature and its tendency to cause dependence. Klonopin is a brand of clonazepam, a federally controlled substance (C-IV) in the United States and many countries around the world, as such it is illegal to use this medication or any other pharmaceutical preparation similar to klonopin to get “high”. Inhaling or snorting klonopin is also accompanied by several health risks and accompanying behavioral and mental health challenges.
If you exceed the dose of klonopin, call your healthcare provider or local Poison Control Center, or seek emergency medical attention immediately. Symptoms of a Klonopin overdose include:
- Drowsiness or extreme fatigue
- Blurred vision
- Confusion, agitation, anxiety and mood changes
- Slurred speech
- Memory loss issues
- Stupor or unresponsiveness
- Difficulty breathing
- Lack of coordination
- Lowered blood pressure
How long does Klonopin stay in your system?
In general, it takes approximately 6 to 14 days for Klonopin to be completely eliminated from your system. This is because the long half-life of Klonopin (how long it takes for 50% of a single dose of a drug to leave the body) is between 30 – 50 hours or 2 days.
Klonopin vs Xanax
There are several similarities between klonopin and Xanax
- Both Klonopin (clonazepam) and Xanax (alprazolam) belong to a class of drugs of known as benzodiazepines.
- They are medications that cause drowsiness (sedation) and inhibition of nerve signals within the brain.
- Both Klonopin (clonazepam) and Xanax (alprazolam) are used for sedation during surgery.
- Klonopin and Xanax are prescribed to treat anxiety.
- Both drugs can cause birth defects when used by pregnant mothers they also are secreted in breast milk and can affect nursing infants.
- Both Klonopin (clonazepam) and Xanax (alprazolam) have many side effects in common.
What Does Fake Klonopin Look Like
2mg Roche Rivotril pills manufactured by Roche is the most counterfeited clonazepam on the market. Recently, police in Finland busted a drug ring selling fake Klonopin confiscating over 400, 000 of such pills many of which came from Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania where they make fake Klonopin.
Most users who buy cheap fake “2mg” Klonopin or Rivotril pills on the streets and online complain that even though they looked real, it is hard to compare the fake vs real Klonopin, they did not taste that minty in the mouth and dissolves rapidly. In general this is how to tell or spot a fake Klonopin;
- They taste like chemicals and chalk with no effect
- They taste strongly like mint, and contain varying amount of clonazepam
- They have a slightly bitter taste, hits very hard, very fast, and are heavily sedating.
- The onset is far too quick to be clonazepam, and the effect wears off quickly. The onset of klonopin action is within an hour with a duration of action of between 6-12 hours.
- The original are crisper, should be scored in 4 on the back side and takes about 30 seconds to dissolve in the mouth
Here is a comparison between a real Rivotril from a Pharmacy (on the left), and the fake Rivotril on the right side
How To Safely Quit Klonopin Abuse
People abuse Klonopin (clonazepam) for many reasons. They want to make life less stressful, fall asleep more easily, relieve unmanaged pain, or experience a euphoric high. Klonopin and other benzodiazepines are recommended for short-term use only because of the risks of tolerance, dependence, and addiction. Recreational users put their health and life at risk when they use this drug for longer periods of time, in large quantities, or without a doctors prescription. Users may also use the drug in unsafe ways.
Klonopin can be snorted or injected, but this is not how it is meant to be used. The more the drug is used, and the riskier ways in which it is used, the greater the risk of dependence, addiction, and serious health consequences. When the drug is misused, individuals may experience severe withdrawal symptoms when they attempt to quit or go too long without the drug. This can encourage a return to unsafe drug use. To safely stop using Klonopin, find medically supervised detox services near you. No matter your reasons for using this drug, rehab programs offer healthier, safer solutions for finding peace and joy in life. CLICK HERE TO SEE Klonopin Withdrawal Symptoms Cold Turkey
Choosing a Klonopin Rehab Program
Before beginning any recovery program, research your clonazepam treatment options and learn more about the substance abuse treatment process. This way, you place your self in a position to make a more informed decision about your treatment and know what to expect when you enter a program. Drug rehab programs offer professional support and a safe environment for detox and recovery.
Cost and Paying for Klonopin Treatment
The price of a Klonopin treatment and rehabilitation program will depend on
- How much your insurance covers.
- How long the program is and how long you stay.
- The kind of program it is (inpatient, outpatient, etc.).
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.