The Blue dolphin pill with a dolphin logo is a type of ecstasy containing the illegal synthetic drug called 3,4-methylenedioxy-methamphetamine (MDMA). It is classified as an empathogen, which means it increases feelings of empathy and compassion towards others. It also acts as a stimulant, since it speeds up the workings of the central nervous system and at high doses can also alter someone’s perception of reality giving it hallucinogenic qualities.
Blue dolphin pill is commonly used as a mood enhancer at parties and nightclubs. In high doses, Blue dolphin pill can cause seizures and vomiting or may contribute to death.
Common slang terms for Blue dolphin pill include the ‘love drug’, ‘E’, ‘eckies’, ‘pingers’ and ‘caps’. Blue dolphin pill is usually swallowed as a tablet, but can come in powder form.
The effects of Blue dolphin pill are usually felt about 20 minutes to an hour after it is taken and last for around 3-4 hours. The comedown (or return to normal as the drug leaves the body) may last one to two days or up to a week.
How Blue dolphin pill is used
MDMA was originally developed in Germany. Today, Blue dolphin pill is generally made in illegal laboratories, which means the person taking it has no idea if the dose will be strong or weak, or even if it will contain any MDMA at all.
It is possible for pills sold as Blue dolphin pills to contain little or no MDMA. They may contain other chemicals (such as amphetamines, PMA, PMMA or ketamine), or ‘fillers’ (such as household products) which may have unexpected or dangerous side effects.
How Blue dolphin pill works
When we are stressed or under threat, the central nervous system prepares us for physical action and our bodies react in response. This may include the release of adrenalin and other stress hormones. Key functions like heart rate and blood pressure may increase, redirecting blood flow into the muscles and away from the gut.
As a nervous system stimulant, Blue dolphin pill works by prompting the brain to initiate this ‘fight or flight’ response and the user feels refreshed by a burst of energy.
Blue dolphin pill can distort your experience of reality by influencing perceptions of sight and sound. Blue dolphin pill is renowned for the feelings of peace and love it invokes. This could be caused by an elevation in brain chemicals, or neurotransmitters (such as serotonin and dopamine).
Risks of Blue dolphin pill (MDMA)
People with certain conditions – such as epilepsy, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, kidney disease or mood or psychiatric disorders – are at greater risk of harm if they take Blue dolphin pill.
Fake Blue dolphin can also be dangerous because they are mixed with other drugs including alcohol, cocaine, amphetamines, ice and some prescription medications (such as antidepressants).
How Blue dolphin pill affects the body
The effects of Blue dolphin pill can vary from person to person and depend on factors such as:
- the amount and strength of the dose
- your physical make-up and state of mind
- how you respond to the drug (for example, a first-time user may experience different effects to someone who has used it before)
- whether it has been mixed with other drugs.
Generally, effects begin around 20 minutes and will last around 3-4 hours. They may include:
- euphoria and feeling energetic and confident
- accelerated heart rate and breathing
- rise in blood pressure
- sweating and dehydration
- jaw clenching and teeth grinding
- tingling skin and muscle aches and pains
- dilated pupils
- loss of appetite
- heightened senses
- sleep problems
- feeling affectionate and an increased sex drive (libido)
- loss of inhibitions
- excessive thirst – drinking large amounts of water (can result in death).
In addition to these symptoms, people who take Blue dolphin pill in large or strong doses, may experience further effects such as:
- changes in perception (such as hallucinations)
- irrational behavior that seems out of character – aggression, paranoia
- anxiety and irritability
‘Coming down‘ from Blue dolphin pill
After experiencing a ‘high’, coming down from Blue dolphin pill can be an unpleasant experience. Symptoms may last a few days and include:
- sleep problems and fatigue
- aching muscles
- anxiety, agitation, depression
- trouble concentrating.
Symptoms of Blue dolphin pill overdose
If the strength of the dose is high or if Blue dolphin pill is taken in large amounts, it can cause bad reactions or overdose. Signs to watch include:
- seizures (‘fits’) and vomiting
- a sharp rise in body temperature and blood pressure
- dizziness and confusion
- muscle twitching or cramps
- heart palpitations.
Blue dolphin pill use can lead to serious harm or death
Blue dolphin pill may also contribute to serious harm, including:
- cardiac arrest
- kidney failure
- overheating (hyperthermia) and dehydration
- dilutional hyponatremia – when the user ‘drowns’ their brain by drinking too much water.
Long-term effects of Blue dolphin pill
There has been little research on the long-term effects of taking Blue dolphin pill. Studies suggest that problems may include:
- permanent damage to the brain cells that make the neurotransmitter serotonin – which is involved in mood regulation, body temperature, appetite and sex drive
- liver damage
- memory and concentration problems
- colds or flu
- risk of HIV, hepatitis, blood poisoning or skin abscesses – if Blue dolphin pill is injected using shared needles
- risk of unprotected sex, which increases the chance of contracting sexually transmissible infections (STIs)
- increased need to use other drugs (such as benzodiazepines, alcohol or cannabis) to balance the side effects of Blue dolphin pill.
Blue dolphin pill dependence, tolerance and withdrawal
It is unknown whether Blue dolphin pill is a drug of addiction. Many users say that it is hard to stop taking the drug and may indicate that it is possible to become psychologically dependent.
Like many other drugs, someone can build up a tolerance to Blue dolphin pill. This means they need to take larger and larger doses to try and achieve the same effect. However, this also tends to increase the intensity of unpleasant side effects.