Bad breath medically referred to as halitosis results from poor oral hygiene habits and could sometimes be a sign of an underlying health challenge. Bad breath is one of the greatest career killers, it could end your career before it even starts.
Bad breath can be worsened by smoking and or the consumption of substances with strong smells like garlic, coffee, or alcohol. It is estimated that about 45 percent of the world’s population suffers from some form of halitosis. Studies have shown that individuals with bad breath are 60 percent more likely to suffer from stress, and 57 percent of individuals with bad breath reported feelings of depression.
Having bad breath can have significant negative consequences in various aspects of life, including personal and professional relationships. Here are some expanded reasons why bad breath can lead to missed opportunities. We have identified 5 ways you may be losing millions due to bad breath:
- You May Lose That Mouth-Watering Job Offer: Job interviews are crucial moments that can determine the trajectory of one’s career. Interviewers, like anyone else, can be sensitive to strong smells, including bad breath. A candidate with impressive qualifications and skills might not get a fair chance to showcase their abilities if their bad breath puts off the interview panel. The focus might shift from their qualifications to the discomfort caused by the unpleasant odor, potentially leading to a missed job opportunity.
- An Investor Willing To Invest In Your Business Might Be Unable To Stand the Smell and Discuss the Details: Entrepreneurs and innovators often seek investors to bring their business ideas to life. These discussions can be critical, requiring close proximity and open communication. However, bad breath can create an awkward and uncomfortable atmosphere during such meetings. It can distract the investor from the business details and instead draw attention to the bad breath, potentially hindering the chances of securing funding for the business.
- You May Lose Quality Friends With Good Links: Having a strong network of friends and acquaintances can open doors to various opportunities, including business collaborations and personal growth. However, bad breath can act as a barrier to forming meaningful connections. Some friends may find it challenging to discuss the issue with you, while others might simply distance themselves to avoid discomfort. This can lead to missed chances for personal and professional growth that could have been facilitated by these valuable connections.
- You May Lose Important Clients Who Can’t Stand the Stench: In business, clients are the lifeblood of an enterprise. Losing important clients due to bad breath can have severe consequences for the company’s bottom line. Clients who bring significant revenue and opportunities to the business may be deterred from continuing their association if they find the interactions unpleasant due to bad breath. Retaining such clients is crucial for the success and growth of any business.
- You May Lose Experienced and Skilled Staff: A harmonious and productive work environment is essential for any business to thrive. Bad breath from a team member can create discomfort and affect the synergy among colleagues. Working in close quarters can become unpleasant, leading to decreased job satisfaction and productivity. In some cases, skilled and experienced staff may choose to leave the organization to avoid the discomfort caused by bad breath, resulting in a loss of valuable talent for the company.
Overall, bad breath can have far-reaching consequences, impacting personal relationships, professional opportunities, and business success. Addressing bad breath through proper oral hygiene, regular dental check-ups, and addressing any underlying health issues can be crucial for maintaining positive relationships and seizing important opportunities in both personal and professional life.
Permission is hereby granted for the use of whole or parts of this article provided appropriate credit is given to www.publichealth.com.ng
Public Health Nigeria an Interdisciplinary public health movement focused on health education, advancing fair public health policies, promoting fitness, healthy diets, responsible behavior, community health and general well-being.