What is ZD 14 pill?
The white round pill with the imprint ZD 14 has been identified as Topiramate 100 mg supplied by Zydus Pharmaceuticals. Topiramate is in a class of medications called anticonvulsants. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain.
ZD 14 pill is used alone or with other medications to treat certain types of seizures including primary generalized tonic-clonic seizures (formerly known as a grand mal seizure; seizure that involves the entire body) and partial onset seizures (seizures that involve only one part of the brain). ZD 14 pill is also used with other medications to control seizures in people who have Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (a disorder that causes seizures and developmental delays). ZD 14 pill is also used to prevent migraine headaches but not to relieve the pain of migraine headaches when they occur.
There have not been any studies on whether topiramate can cause dependence, but it may be possible. Unlike many other drugs of abuse, topiramate won’t make you feel high. Instead, you’re more likely to feel sleepy, dazed, or a little bit confused. It won’t produce feelings of pleasure, excitement, or happiness.
How should I take ZD 14 pill?
Follow all directions on your prescription label and read all medication guides or instruction sheets. Your doctor may occasionally change your dose. Use the medicine exactly as directed. ZD 14 pill can be taken with or without food.
Swallow the tablet whole and do not crush, chew, or break it. Carefully follow the swallowing instructions for your medicine.
ZD 14 pill doses are sometimes based on weight in children. Your child’s dose needs may change if the child gains or loses weight. Drink plenty of liquids while you are taking ZD 14 pill, to prevent kidney stones or an electrolyte imbalance.
You will need frequent medical tests. If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using ZD 14 pill. Any medical care provider who treats you should know that you take seizure medication.
Do not stop using ZD 14 pill suddenly, even if you feel fine. Stopping suddenly may cause increased seizures. Follow your doctor’s instructions about tapering your dose.
Call your doctor if your seizures get worse or you have them more often while taking ZD 14 pill.
Store at cool room temperature away from moisture, light, and high heat.
What special precautions should I follow?
Before taking ZD 14 pill,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to topiramate, any other medications, or any of the ingredients in ZD 14 pill. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients.
- tell your doctor if you have metabolic acidosis (a disturbance in the body’s acid-base balance that results in excessive acidity of the blood) and you are taking metformin (Fortamet, Glucophage, Riomet, others). Your doctor will probably tell you not to take metformin if you have metabolic acidosis and you are taking this of medication.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention any of the following: acetazolamide (Diamox); amitriptyline; anticoagulants (‘blood thinners’) such as warfarin (Coumadin); antidepressants; antihistamines; aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn); digoxin (Lanoxin); hormonal contraceptives (birth control pills, patches, rings, implants, or injections); hydrochlorothiazide (Microzide, Oretic); lamotrigine (Lamictal); lithium (Lithobid); medications for motion sickness, ulcers, or urinary problems; metformin (Fortamet, Glucophage, Riomet, others); other medications for seizures such as carbamazepine (Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Teril), phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek), valproic acid (Depakene), and zonisamide (Zonegran); and pioglitazone (Actos, in Actoplus Met ER). Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- tell your doctor if you or any family members have or have ever had kidney stones, and if you have ever thought about killing yourself or tried to do so. Also tell your doctor if you have or have ever had metabolic acidosis (a disturbance in the body’s acid-base balance that results in excessive acidity of the blood); osteopenia, osteomalacia, or osteoporosis (conditions in which the bones are soft or brittle and may break easily); diabetes; glaucoma (a type of eye disease); any disease that affects your breathing such as asthma or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD); depression or abnormal moods; a growth problem; or liver or kidney disease. Also tell your doctor if you have diarrhea or if you develop diarrhea during your treatment.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, your doctor may prescribe a different medication instead of topiramate because topiramate may harm the fetus. If you do not plan to become pregnant, you should use birth control to prevent pregnancy during your treatment with topiramate. Talk to your doctor about what type of birth control you should use, because taking topiramate may decrease the effectiveness of some types of birth control. If you become pregnant while you are taking ZD 14 pill, call your doctor right away, but do not stop taking topiramate before talking to your doctor.
- if you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking ZD 14 pill.
- you should know that ZD 14 pill may make you drowsy, dizzy, confused, or unable to concentrate. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
- if you are taking ZD 14 pill to control seizures, you should know that you may continue to have seizures during your treatment. You may need to avoid activities such as swimming, driving, and climbing so that you will not harm yourself or others if you lose consciousness during a seizure.
- tell your doctor if you if you drink alcohol. You should not drink alcohol within 6 hours before and 6 hours after you take ZD 14 pill. Your doctor will probably tell you not to drink alcohol while taking ZD 14 pill.
- you should know that ZD 14 pill can prevent you from sweating and make it harder for your body to cool down when it gets very hot. This happens most often in warm weather and to children who take topiramate. Avoid exposure to heat, drink plenty of fluids and tell your doctor if you have a fever, headache, muscle cramps, or an upset stomach, or if you are not sweating as usual.
- you should know that you may be more likely to develop a kidney stone while you are taking ZD 14 pill. Drink 6 to 8 glasses of water every day to prevent kidney stones from forming.
- you should know that your mental health may change in unexpected ways and you may become suicidal (thinking about harming or killing yourself or planning or trying to do so) while you are taking ZD 14 pill for the treatment of epilepsy, mental illness, or other conditions. A small number of adults and children 5 years of age and older (about 1 in 500 people) who took anticonvulsants such as ZD 14 pill to treat various conditions during clinical studies became suicidal during their treatment. Some of these people developed suicidal thoughts and behavior as early as 1 week after they started taking the medication. There is a risk that you may experience changes in your mental health if you take an anticonvulsant medication such as ZD 14 pill, but there may also be a risk that you will experience changes in your mental health if your condition is not treated. You and your doctor will decide whether the risks of taking an anticonvulsant medication are greater than the risks of not taking the medication. You, your family, or your caregiver should call your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: panic attacks; agitation or restlessness; new or worsening irritability, anxiety, or depression; acting on dangerous impulses; difficulty falling or staying asleep; aggressive, angry, or violent behavior; mania (frenzied, abnormally excited mood); talking or thinking about wanting to hurt yourself or end your life; withdrawing from friends and family; preoccupation with death and dying; giving away prized possessions; or any other unusual changes in behavior or mood. Be sure that your family or caregiver knows which symptoms may be serious so they can call the doctor if you are unable to seek treatment on your own.
What are the side effects of ZD 14 pill?
Like most drugs, ZD 14 pills may cause mild and serious side effects. The lists below describe some of the more common side effects that ZD 14 pill may cause. These lists don’t include all possible side effects.
Keep in mind that side effects of a drug can depend on:
- your age
- other health conditions you have
- other medications you may be taking.
Your doctor or pharmacist can tell you more about the potential side effects of topiramate oral tablets. They can also suggest ways to help reduce side effects.
Mild side effects
Here’s a short list of some of the mild side effects that ZD 14 pills can cause. To learn about other mild side effects, talk with your doctor or pharmacist, or read ZD 14 pills prescribing information.
Side effects might differ slightly between people with seizure disorders and people with migraine headaches. Mild side effects of ZD 14 pills that have been reported include:
- tingling in your arms and legs
- reduced appetite
- weight loss
- changes in taste
- problems with speaking
- trouble with your memory
- fatigue (lack of energy)
- slowed reactions
- reduced sensitivity to touch on your skin
- belly pain
- upper respiratory tract infection, such as the common cold
- hair loss*
Mild side effects of many drugs may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. But if they become bothersome, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
Serious side effects
Serious side effects from ZD 14 pills can occur, but they aren’t common. If you have serious side effects from ZD 14 pills, call your doctor right away. But if you think you’re having a medical emergency, call 911 or your local emergency number. ZD 14 pills oral tablet that have been reported include:
- increased acid level in your blood
- increased ammonia level in your blood
- decreased sweating that can lead to fever
- problems with thinking, memory, attention, and reaction
- suicidal thoughts or actions
- severe skin reactions, which may cause blistering and peeling skin
- kidney stones*
- eye or vision problems*
- allergic reaction*