Several leading universities in Canada offer the masters program in public health. Generally admission slots for MPH in Canada are limited and competitive. The general requirements for admission into the program in Canada is as follows:
- The completion of a 4 year degree program or a designation of equivalent status approved by the institution.
- An average of B+ in all third and fourth-year level undergraduate courses which must include mathematics or statistics (required in many schools but not mandatory).
- English proficiency is required if the academic credential of the applicant does not originate from Canada or the United States.
- A minimum score of 153 on the verbal component and 153 on the quantitative component of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) taken within the last five years
- A detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae (CV) or resume which highlights the applicants professional work experience and relevant skills.
- A well written and specific letter of intent or statement of purpose which describes how the program fits the applicants overall personal and professional goals.
- All applicant regardless of school are required to provide three reference letters as part of their application one of which must be from academic.
- Applicants with prior public health experience are at an advantage.
The best universities for a master’s in public health program in Canada are:
- University of Toronto
Established in 1827, the University of Toronto is famous for its research and the discoveries of insulin and stem cells. The Dalla Lana School of Public Health of the university offers the Masters in Public Health degree in the following disciplines: Family & Community Medicine, Nutrition & Dietetics, Occupation & Environmental Health, Social & Behavioral Health Sciences and Epidemiology.
- McGill University
Ranked 32nd in the world and 2nd in Canada, the Faculty of Medicine – Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health of McGill University is the department saddled with the responsibility of training students in public health. It offers the MPH as well as the Master of Science (MSc) degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Occupational Health.
- University of British Columbia
The University of British Columbia is located in Vancouver and Kelowna in British Columbia. The Faculty of Medicine – School of Population & Public Health offers the Master of Public Health degree as well as other programs such as the Master of Health Administration(MHA) , Master of Science (MSc) in Occupational & Environmental Hygiene and the Master of Science (MSc) degree in Population & Public Health.
- University of Alberta
University of Alberta School of Public Health is one of the few universities in Canada offering the Professional certificate course in public health. The institution also offers the Master of Public Health degree in Applied Biostatistics, Environmental Occupational Health, Epidemiology, Global Health, Health Policy Management, Health Promotion and Food Safety.
- Université de Montréal
The Université de Montréal École de santé publique or School of public health is domiciled in the faculty of medicine of the institution. It offers the standard MPH and MSc programs in public health. The university is the highest-ranked Francophone university in Canada.
- McMaster University
McMaster University is home to 70 research centers and institutes. The Faculty of Health Sciences of the institution offers the Master of Public Health degree as well as other MSc programs in Health Research Methodology, Health Science Education, Global Health and the Master of Health Management program.
- University of Waterloo
University of Waterloo is one of the favorite universities for international students in Canada. Established in 1957, the institutions’ School of Public Health and Health Systems, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences offers the three distinct MPH programs in Social and Behavioural Sciences, Environmental Health and a General MPH program. The school also offers the Master of Science degree (MSc) in Public Health and Health Systems.
Western University (University of Western Ontario)
Founded in 1878, Western University was previously known as the University of Western Ontario. The Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry offers the standard MPH as well as the MSc degree in Epidemiology & Biostatistics.
- University of Calgary
The University of Calgary was founded in 1966 and has five campuses, including one in the Middle East (Qatar). The university was made famous by the innovations of its researchers including the invention of the neurochip. The University of Calgary Faculty of Community Health Sciences does not offer the MPH program but instead offers a similar program known as the Master of Disability & Community Studies (MDCS) and the Master of Community Medicine (MCM) programs.
- Queen’s University
With a student population of around 23,000 10% of whom are international, Queen’s University is ranked 10th in our list of top universities for MPH in Canada. The institutions Faculty of Health Sciences – Department of Public Health Sciences located in Kingston, offers the MPH program as well as the Master of Science (MSc) degree in Epidemiology and Biostatistics.