Biostatistics is a sub-discipline in biology that deals with the application of statistics to a wide range of topics in biology. It involves the design of biological experiments and the collection, summary, analysis and interpretation or inference from the results.
Biostatisticians are important members of the public health community because of the importance of the tools and concepts of biostatistics in data analysis and drawing of inferences which are some of the major features in epidemiology and disease control.
Several institutions run graduate programs in biostatistics the top 10 best biostatistics graduate programs in biostatistics are:
Best Biostatistics Programs # 1 The Hopkins Biostatistics ( Johns Hopkins University)
Ranked number one globally for public health, Hopkins Biostatistics is dedicated to high-quality education. Research is characterized by a commitment to statistical science and the application of statistical foundations and methods to the solution of public health and biomedical problems.
Johns Hopkins University offers graduate programs in biostatistics in three major areas for applicants with a bachelor’s degree (or higher) who are interested in pursuing professional or academic careers at the interface of the statistical and health sciences: This includes
Hopkins Masters in Biostatistics
- The Master of Health Sciences (MHS): This Hopkins Biostat program is for prospective students with prior professional degree or experience seeking to complete a one-year intensive course of study in bio-statistical methods and theory.
- Master of Science (ScM): This program is for prospective students who have demonstrated excellence at the undergraduate level in biological sciences or quantitative analysis who seek a career as a professional statistician.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): This Hopkins Biostatistics program is for prospective students who have demonstrated excellence at the undergraduate level in biological sciences or quantitative analysis who seek to prepare themselves to become leading biostatistical researchers in an industry, government or the academia
Best Biostatistics Programs # 2 Harvard Biostat (Harvard University)
The Department of Biostatistics at the Harvard School of Public Health offers an unmatched environment to pursue education and research in statistical science geared towards promoting the health of populations worldwide.
The academic team is leaders in the development of statistical methods for observational studies, clinical trials, studies on the environment, and genomics/genetics.
The Innovative approach to computational biology, analysis of massive data, and quantitative genomics of the graduate programs in biostatistics at the Harvard Chan School of Public Health provides students with exceptional computing and analytic skills.
The Department of Biostatistics offers the following graduate programs in biostatistics
Harvard Masters in Biostatistics
- 80-credit Master of Science in Biostatistics: This program provides training in a variety of statistical methods and statistical theory for application in public health and medicine. It is appropriate for students considering Master’s level or doctoral level work relevant to medical research
- 60-credit Master of Science in Biostatistics: This program prepares students who have completed a quantitative undergraduate degree for applied research positions in hospitals, industries, and universities.
- 5-credit Master of Science in Biostatistics: This Harvard Biostat program focuses on students with a mathematical and statistical background sufficient to achieve a level of proficiency after one year of study as compared with what is obtained in the 80-credit program.
- 80-credit Master of Science in Comp Bio & Quantitative Genetics: This Harvard Biostatistics program is jointly offered in collaboration with the Department of Epidemiology, it provides students essential skills and rigorous quantitative training needed to successfully meet the challenges presented by large-scale public health data (“Big Data”).
- Master of Science (SM) in Health Data Science: This Harvard Biostatistics degree is a new 60-credit program designed to provide students with essential skills and rigorous quantitative training needed to successfully manage and analyze health science data in order to address current questions and challenges in public health, medicine, and basic biology.
Harvard PhD in Biostatistics
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health has a long history of training the very best Ph.D. students. Ph.D. in biostatistics candidates develop deep expertise in the theory and practice of biostatistics and bioinformatics, learn to work with big data and use powerful statistical tools to drive discovery using complex datasets.
Best Biostatistics Programs #3 UNC Biostat (University of North Carolina)
University of North Carolina Department of Biostatistics is ranked number three on our list. Research at this institution focuses on the application of statistics in applied research and the development of statistical methodology
University of North Carolina Masters in Biostatistics
- Master of Public Health (MPH): This UNC Biostat program prepares students for positions that require specialized knowledge of biostatistics and broad knowledge of public health
- Master of Science (MS): This UNC Biostatistics program equips students with research-oriented training in the methodology and theory of biostatistics and its applications in solving problems in the health sciences.
University of North Carolina Master’s to Doctoral Program in Biostatistics
The Master of Public Health to Medical Doctors Program (MPH-MD) is an intensive 1-year program which prepares University of North Carolina medical students to acquire broad knowledge in public health and how to conduct clinical and other scientific research as physicians.
University of North Carolina Doctoral Degree in Biostatistics
University of North Carolina Ph.D. in Biostatistics: The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) program is an advanced, research-oriented training in the methodology of biostatistics which prepares individuals for careers in academia, government, and industry.
University of North Carolina DrPH in Biostatistics: The Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) program is designed for individuals with interest in leadership positions, government, applied research settings and industry related to human health requiring specialized knowledge of biostatistics.
Best Biostatistics Programs # 4 Michigan Biostat (University of Michigan)
The University of Michigan statistics graduate programs is offered under the residential and non-residential graduate degree programs The Department of Biostatistics residential graduate programs in biostatistics includes:
University of Michigan Masters in Biostatistics
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Master of Public Health (M.P.H.
University of Michigan Doctoral Degree in Biostatistics
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
The non-residential program provides an opportunity for healthcare professionals who are involved in clinical research to develop required expertise in research design and statistical analysis, while still working full-time. The Department of Biostatistics non-residential graduate programs in biostatistics include:
- Master of Science M.S in Clinical Research Design and Statistical Analysis: This program involves coming to the University of Michigan campus for a four-day weekend each month for a period spanning 18 months.
- Certificate in Public Health Genetics (CPHG) program: This program is designed to train students to cope with the rapid advances in genetics. The curriculum is designed to be accessible to students in biostatistics and other SPH programs
Best Biostatistics Programs # 5 Columbia Biostat (Columbia University)
Ranked 5th on our list is the graduate program in Biostatistics by the University of Columbia. The programs are designed for students interested in how big data affects health systems. It focuses on research related to clinical trials, brain imaging, cancer, and mental health.
Columbia University Masters in Biostatistics
- Master of Public Health MPH (Biostatistical Research)
- Master of Science MS (Biostatistical Research)
Columbia University Doctoral Degree in Biostatistics
The University of Columbia offers two categories of doctoral degree in biostatistics
Ph.D. in Biostatistics: An advanced, research-oriented training in the methodology of biostatistics which prepares individuals for careers in academia, government and industry.
DrPH in Biostatistics The program is designed for individuals with interest in leadership positions, government, applied research settings and industry related to human health requiring advanced knowledge of biostatistics.
Best Biostatistics Programs # 6 Washington Biostatistics (University of Washington)
The graduate program in biostatistics at the University of Washington provides a rigorous foundation in both statistical theory and state of the art methodology.
The University of Washington Masters in Biostatistics
This program is designed to prepare students for careers in biostatistics and data analysis. The university offers two MS and one MPH degree options namely:
- Master of Science Capstone: This is an18-month (one and half year) full-time degree program with a choice of specialization and a capstone project.
- Master of Science Thesis: This is a 24-36 month full-time degree program that is concluded with a research-based thesis.
- Master of Public Health: This program is designed to broaden the methodological training and in-depth knowledge of theories in biostatistics. Students who are currently in a doctoral degree program and students who already have their doctoral degree are admitted into this program.
University of Washington Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
The doctor of philosophy program in biostatistics of the University of Washington is offered via a standard pathway and a statistical genetics pathway. The program prepares individuals for careers in academia, government and industry.
Best Biostatistics Programs # 7 Emory Biostatistics (Emory University)
Regarded as one of the leading research universities globally, the Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics of the Rollins School of Public Health offers the following graduate degrees:
Emory University Masters in Biostatistics
- Master of Public Health in Biostatistics
- Master of Science in Public Health in Biostatistics
- Master of Science Public Health in Public Health Informatics
- BA/MSPH in Biostatistics
Emory University Doctoral Degree in Biostatistics
Ph.D. in Biostatistics: The Rollins School of Public Health offers the Ph.D. in biostatistics program for students who seek to prepare themselves to become leading biostatistical researchers in an industry, government, or the academia.
Best Biostatistics Programs # 8 Minnesota Biostatistics (University Of Minnesota)
The University of Minnesota biostatistics programs was recently ranked #5–7 out of approximately 40 biostatistics programs in the United States. The Division of Biostatistics has played important leadership roles at both national and international levels including the largest HIV/AIDS treatment trial in global history, and the first vaccine trial for the deadly Ebola virus.
The University Of Minnesota Masters in Biostatistics
- Master of Science in Biostatistics
- Bioinformatics and Computational Biology Masters and PhD
Best Biostatistics Programs #9 Boston Biostatistics (University of Boston)
“Data lead to answers” according to the department of Biostatistics of the University of Boston, with international recognition for methodological innovations in clinical trials and observational studies the division has a long history of collaborating to address some of the world’s most pressing public health challenges.
The University of Boston Masters in Biostatistics
- MA in Biostatistics
- MS in Applied Biostatistics
- PhD in Biostatistics MPH
- Graduate Certificate in Modern Biostatistics in Clinical Trials
- Graduate Certificate in Statistical Genetics
- Interdepartmental Group in Biostatistics
Best Biostatistics Programs #10 California Biostatistics (University of California)
The Department of Biostatistics of the University of California, Berkeley offers two unique graduate degree programs in biostatistics. These are:
University of California Master of Arts in Biostatistics
The Interdepartmental group in Biostatistics of the University of California offers graduate programs leading to the MA degree. This program is designed for individuals with statistical or mathematical background with a major interest in the biomedical sciences.
University of California Ph.D. in Biostatistics
This prepares students for research and advanced study in biostatistics. The program focuses on students with strong skills and training in statistics and mathematics who are interested in applications in health care and biological settings.